The midnight sun gives energy for growing oats, pure water refreshes the oats and freezing winter purifies the fields. The high available light energy increases the levels of antioxidants and bioactive compounds of Finnish oats.
We cannot grow in Finland maize, rice or millet and it is uneconomical to grow wheat in the northern part of Finland. Thus, oat breeding has to give good oat variants for the farmers. Oat supply chain is short in Finland, because farm fields are small compared to other parts of the world. When these features are taken into careful control, our oat supply FarmTopOat is established.
FACT BOX OF POLAR GLUCAN OATS
- It has excellent taste and crispy mouth feeling due to its soft kernels compared to other grains.
- It has less carbohydrates and gives more dietary fiber 11-14% than white wheat, rice, or maize flour.
- It has much protein 13-16% and protein does not create clumps in the products such as wheat.
- It contains healthy beta glucan 4-6%, which gives health claim.
- Its healthy fat 6-10% locates all over in the kernel and its lecithins - a fat component - assist in creating of emulsions such as spreads on bread.
- It has small starch particles, which give good mouth feeling to drinks and moist products.
- It is naturally gluten free.
- It is farmed in the purest Arctic surroundings without glyphosate during growing season and it is dried immediately after harvest.
- Its farming is environment friendly compared to other grains due to its modest requirements in farming.